What a visual that gives, right?
Since the announcement of this site was yesterday, I felt like making muffins was just the way to celebrate last night! The amount of blueberries combined with heat in this recipe will ensure some bursting of the blueberries inside the muffins, giving an authentically tart and fresh flavor. The batches of muffins I make typically only yield nine, so if you’re aiming for the over a dozen mark – double the recipe!
I give you wonderfully delicious and refined sugar free blueberry muffins.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 1/4 cup of unbleached flour (I use the flour from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup of quick oats
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of creamed honey (regular honey works or organic maple syrup)
- 1/2 cup of Earth Balance Vegan Butter (or butter of your choice)
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 egg (or flax egg to make this recipe vegan)
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries
- you can add vanilla extract, chia seeds, lemon zest or other berries to this recipe if you want to try something different!
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon by mixing thoroughly so all dry ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a microwave safe bowl (this butter melts fast and makes the bowl hot!) melt the 1/2 cup of butter. Once melted, reserve 1 tbsp for later.
- Add in the egg, butter, almond milk and honey.
- Mix ingredients until a consistently sticky batter forms (it will look like runny oatmeal!)
- Wash blueberries and add them into the bowl while continuing to mix.
- Grease a muffin tin with your choice of greasing material and place dollops of mixture into tin.
- Add a few more blueberries and shake of cinnamon on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Take muffins out and add butter that was set aside with a basting brush to the tops of the muffins to add extra moisture and encourage a light browning to them as they finish baking.
- Bake for another 3-5 minutes.
If you make this recipe, feel free to share on Instagram by tagging me @savoryservingswithsav or #savoryservingswithsav
Have a question about this recipe? Head on over to my contact page and fill out the form with the title of the recipe in the message section. Thank you!