Looking for something to make as a meal prep option? How about a side for this Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving even? Look no further – this is the perfect recipe that you are guaranteed to enjoy and feel full after eating! It’s also an affordable recipe to make too!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 2 medium sized acorn squash
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 1 cup of quinoa (I used 1/2 cup of white, 1/2 cup of tricolor)
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice
- pinch(es) of salt for taste
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 tbsp of honey
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
- oil to sauté veggies and drizzle on squash (no specific amount)
- 3 tbsp of breadcrumbs (I use Trader Joe’s since they don’t contain dairy!)
- 1 tbsp of vegan butter of your choice
- Begin by preheating the oven to 375°. While oven preheats, slice squashes in half and de-seed and start water for quinoa. Baste with cut sides with oil, sprinkle pumpkin pie spice and salt on top. Toss in the oven for 25 minutes with cut side up.
- Add in quinoa and cook based on the package’s directions.
- While quinoa and squash cook, dice the onions and add to a pan with oil, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and honey. Cook until translucent.
- Dice up 1/4 cup of dried cranberries to make them very thin and small to add into quinoa later on.
- Pull out the squash after 25 minutes and flip the cut sides down and continue to cook for another 10 minutes. Squash should cook for a total of 35 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan add in 1 tbsp of vegan butter and 3 tbsp of bread crumbs over medium heat. Stir together and let crisp up for 3-5 minutes.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and add in lemon juice, onion mixture and cranberries. Mix thoroughly.
- Pull out squash and fill with quinoa mixture, topping off each squash bowl with bread crumbs.
Since this recipe calls for honey, it’s not technically vegan but pretty darn close. Enjoy the subtly sweet and savory flavors these bowls have to bring.
If you make this recipe, feel free to share on Instagram by tagging me @savoryservingswithsav or #savoryservingswithsav
Have a question about this recipe? Head on over to my contact page and fill out the form with the title of the recipe in the message section. Thank you!